WHAT EVERY CATHOLIC SCHOOL LIBRARY SHOULD
1. The Catholic Study Bible (New American Bible) (New
York: Oxford University Press, 1990).
2. A concordance of the Bible. Nelson's Complete Concordance
of the New American Bible (Nashville: T. Nelson, 1977).
3. An encyclopedic dictionary of the Bible, or a dictionary of
the Bible. Suggest, John L. McKenzie, Dictionary of the Bible
(New York: Macmillan, 1965, 1977); Encyclopedic Dictionary of
the Bible, tr. Louis F. Hartman (New York: McGraw Hill, 1963);
Dianne Bergant, The Collegeville Concise Glossary of Biblical
Terms (Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical Press, 1994).
4. Catechism of the Catholic Church
5. A good history of the Catholic Church. Suggest, J. Derek
Holmes and Bernard W. Bickers, A Short History of the Catholic
Church (New York: Paulist Press, 1984).
6. A series of the lives of the Saints. Suggest Butler's
Lives of the Saints, ed. David Hugh Farmer, 12 vols.
(Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical Press, 1995- ). For each month
of the year.
7. A history of Catholic doctrine. Suggest, Hubert
Cunliffe-Jones, ed., A History of Christian Doctrine
(Edinburgh: Clark, 1976, 1998).
8. A dictionary of theology and theological terms. Suggest,
Karl Rahner, A Dictionary of Theology (New York: Crossroads
9. The Documents of Vatican II
10. A prayer book, or book of traditional and contemporary
prayers. Suggest, Catholic Source Book: A Collection of Prayers
and Information to help learn, renew, teach and live the rise life
of Jesus, ed. Peter Klein (Dubuque Iowa: Brown Publisher--Roa
11. A collection of Catholic Church teachings. Heinrich
Denzinger, The Sources of Catholic Dogma, tr. Roy J.
Deferrari (St. Louis: Herder, 1957), or, The Church Teaches:
Documents of the Church in English Translation (St. Louis: B.
Herder Books, 1955).
12. A book explaining Catholic practices and customs. Suggest,
Greg Dues, Catholic Customs and Traditions: A Popular
Guide (Mystic Conn: Twenty-Third Publications, 1992).
13. A set of commentaries on each book of the Bible. Suggest
the Collegeville Bible Commentary (Collegeville, MN: The
Liturgical Press, 1986, 1998).