- Changing Careers
- Building a Network
- Student Data & Outcomes
- Student Business Cards
- Job and Internship Postings
Login to Handshake
For more information
• Contact the Business Career Center
• e-mail: email@example.com
• Call: (414) 288-7927
• Visit us in person: O'Brien Hall, Suite 111
• For campus-wide career resources, contact the MU Career Services Center
Building a Network
Whenever you have opportunities to interact and build relationships with others, you have the opportunity to network! Networking is an important professional skill and a proactive job and internship search strategy, which may include communicating with people you already know and reaching out to contacts with whom you seek to build relationships. Both kinds of communication and relationships are important during a job / internship search and throughout your career.
Networking takes time and commitment. Here are some steps you can use to build your professional network.
- Build and maintain a broad list of contacts – colleagues, professional contacts, alumni, professional organizations and associations.
- Take action – develop a plan, attend professional events, establish social media accounts, follow up to establish lasting relationships.
- Keep in touch – attend networking events, access your social media accounts on a regular basis, volunteer to help nonprofits.
- Follow up – send follow up notes after attending events, look for opportunities to help those whom you meet.
- Reciprocate – take that extra step to assist others who have helped you.