Student Employee Supervisor Manual


The purpose of Student Employment Services is to assist students in obtaining jobs which will help cover some of the expenses of a college education; to bring together the student work force with the jobs available; to provide students with career related work where possible; and to provide all students seeking employment an equal opportunity to obtain jobs. Student Employment Services functions include:

  • Maintain the JobXdatabase
  • Upload Salary Authorizations to the Payroll Department (this occurs after the employer enters the placement into JobX)
  • Monitor federal work study funds
  • Advertise/post part-time positions on JobX
  • Liaison with the Payroll department
  • Liaison with Student Employee Supervisors
  • Coordinate the Student Employee of the Year Recognition program

This guide is designed for use by on and off-campus student supervisors. It provides policies, procedures, and responsibilities for both students and supervisors. If you have questions which are not answered in this guide, please contact the Office of Student Employment Services at 

Expand all   |   Collapse all  


A student employee is a part-time employee who is enrolled, or is to be matriculated as a student at Marquette University, and whose primary purpose for being at the University is the achievement of a degree or certification. This person's employment is temporary and incidental to the pursuit of a degree or certification. During summer, an individual is considered to be a student even if s/he is not enrolled as long s/he has been admitted/readmitted for fall semester. Those individuals not meeting the definition of a student employee must be hired through Human Resources, 313 N. 13th St., Suite 221.


An objective of Student Employment Services is to contribute to the comprehensive development of students by providing and recognizing the multi-faceted co-educational experiences students have at Marquette University. Working to help with costs of an education is one of the many benefits students gain through campus employment. Students also acquire transferable work skills. Student Employment Services, in cooperation with the National Association of Student Employment Administrators (NASEA), sponsors an annual "Student Employee of the Year Award" Recognition Program in support of this objective.

To be eligible students must be employed at the University for a minimum of three months full-time during the summer, or six months part-time during the academic year. Students must be nominated by a supervisor.


FWS is a federal financial aid program designed to provide part-time employment for eligible students. Marquette University receives an allocation from the federal government each fiscal year which is used, in combination with employer funds, to provide part-time jobs for students.

Students must apply for financial aid and receive a Federal Work Study (FWS) award from the Office of Student Financial Aid in order to work under this program. Students who demonstrate financial need are awarded FWS funds on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are exhausted. Therefore, it is very important for students to be aware of and adhere to application priority dates. Students who file for financial aid too late in the year may not receive a Federal Work Study (FWS) award due to lack of funding, regardless of whether they had FWS in the past, have financial need, or have a specific FWS job arranged. To receive maximum consideration for a FWS award, students should file the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in January.

FWS funds are restricted to students who are either citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Foreign students with an F-1 or J-1 Visa are not eligible for federal FWS funds but are eligible for MSE.

Students who accept their offer of FWS are not guaranteed a job. Rather, they are given access to available job descriptions in order to apply for the jobs that interest them.

FWS positions can be found in almost every Marquette office and department. Also, there are numerous job opportunities for Marquette students available at off campus FWS agencies. Marquette departments are charged 25% of the FWS student's earnings each payroll period. The remaining 75% is paid by federal funds.


Community Service Federal Work Study (CSFWS) jobs are positions which improve the quality of life for community residents, or solve problems related to their needs. Community service jobs can be a wonderful opportunity for students to interact with the Marquette and Milwaukee communities, using their talents to improve the lives of others. Examples of these jobs would be tutoring grade school children in the community, coordinating community based assistance programs, Campus Outreach, or working with security, which ensures the safety of the community. Many careers are set in motion here. Students not only learn a work ethic, but also the ability to interact with the world at large. Students leave these jobs prepared not only to enter the work world, but to be a contributing member of society and their community.


If a student has an MSE designation, it means that the student either has not applied for any type of financial aid, has not received financial aid that is based on financial need, applied too late to receive FWS this award year, or has exceeded their FWS award. It is not necessary to monitor MSE earnings for financial aid purposes.


International students (with an F-1 Visa) are eligible to work on-campus under the Marquette Student Employment program (MSE), and should follow all of the procedures outlined in this guide. They are limited to work no more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session. These students must take care not to exceed 20 hours per week as their eligibility to remain in the U.S.A. may be revoked. International Students should contact the Office of International Education with any questions regarding employment eligibility.

Note: Graduate students with assistantships may have Graduate School restrictions on taking additional work hours outside of their academic department and should receive permission from the Graduate School prior to any additional work.


Student employees who receive FWS awards generally may not earn more than the dollar amount of their award. The student employee together with their supervisor MUST monitor all FWS student earnings to ensure that the student does not earn more than their awarded amount. If the FWS amount is exceeded, the student’s designated award will be changed to MSE and the supervisor's budget will be charged at 100%. Student Employment Services recommends that students not have positions using both FWS and MSE at the same time. Unless special arrangements are made with the employer and the Office of Student Employment, students awarded FWS will always be paid FWS first (i.e. for both positions) until funds are depleted. Once the FWS funds are depleted, the student will be moved to MSE and wages will be charged to the department at 100%.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It is possible for a student's Federal Work Study amount to change or be canceled during the academic year. Typically this would occur if a student’s financial circumstances should change (i.e. receipt of additional financial aid, a scholarship award etc.). Students will be notified of the change and should immediately notify their supervisors. Student Employment Services will also notify supervisors of any changes in award or program amounts.

Supervisors are notified of their student employee FWS earnings by means of a Tracking Report printed bi-weekly for each department. The report will list each student employee's name, their FWS AWARD and AVAILABLE BALANCE. If a student is employed in more than one department, the comment column will state that the student has multiple FWS positions. This will assist in monitoring student hours. The amount a student is eligible to earn includes earnings from all FWS jobs, if there is more than one. The YTD Wages includes earnings from all departments. When a student is terminated from a position the student's name and earnings will continue to remain on the department's Tracking Report for the academic year, however, no additional earnings will be charged to the department's account.


The wages a student earns must be based on the characteristics, responsibilities, and skill level required of the job. You must place each job into its appropriate wage range in JobX according to the Wage Levels Chart. Material pay differences amongst similar jobs across campus presents a compliance risk for the university. The Office of Student Employment will be auditing job wage levels, and any jobs not in appropriate wage levels will be moved to the appropriate level and the student paid accordingly. Additionally, student employees should not earn more than staff employees with the same or similar job responsibilities, and they may not replace a full-time employee. The most student employees can earn is $18.75/hour.

However, an Excess Pay Request can be submitted if the work:

  • Requires advanced or specialized knowledge and experience.
  • Involves skills in limited supply.
  • Means supervising or leading others in work more than 50% of the time.
  • Has a scope across or beyond the institution.
  • Receives no review except when initiated by worker or general performance reviews.
  • Is grant funded where the rate of pay is explicit within the grant’s terms.
  • Is for a Graduate Student with duties in teaching, administration, or advanced discipline, skill, or knowledge.

Stipend hires must also be assessed according to the job’s qualities. Stipend hires that exceed what an hourly student may earn per week will be rejected, or an Excess Pay Request will need to be submitted. 


Off-campus employers looking to post a part-time position on our Web site, please complete the template located here and return it via e-mail to the Office of Student Employment at or fax it to (414) 288-1718 — Attn: Student Employment.

For full-time positions, please contact our Career Services Center at


Use your JobX account to change or update any of your current job information. Please note that once students have been hired to a job and a salary authorization has been created, the federal fund account number and the job title of that job must never be changed.


Use your JobX account to create and post your open positions.  Any time a new job is created or a request made to list a job, it is automatically sent to the Pending queue for review by the Office of Student Employment.  The Office of Student Employment receives an automatic email when a job is Pending. You will receive an automatic email when the job is approved or if any corrections need to be made before it can be approved.

Please see JobX On-Campus Employer Training for instructions on how to do this.


Zilber Hall, 121
P.O. Box 1881
Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881
(414) 288-0200
FAX (414) 288-1718

Marquette University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer