Advising and Registration
Advising prior to registration
Advisers are faculty or staff who help students choose the right courses prior to registration. Advising also provides an opportunity for evaluation of the student's academic progress and for sharing information relevant to possible careers. Advisers are assigned to students by the college/school/program in which the student is enrolled.
Advising prior to registration does not guarantee the student a place in a particular course or in a given section. Students must register for courses themselves directly through CheckMarq.
Advising for continuing students
- All undergraduate and graduate students who intend to register for the next semester are required to consult with their advisers during the advising period that precedes Early Registration.
- Students enrolled in the School of Dentistry are advised either individually or in groups during the advising period that precedes Early Registration.
- Students enrolled in the Law School may choose to be advised by either the Associate Dean during the advising period that precedes Early Registration.
- Students enrolled in either the Physician Assistant Studies Program or the Physical Therapy program must contact their respective departments prior to registering.
- Direct entry students to the Physical Therapy Program who are in their third or fourth year of undergraduate studies must contact the Department of Physical Therapy in addition to seeing their undergraduate adviser during the advising period that precedes Early Registration.
Advising for new and readmitted students
All new and readmitted students receive specific instructions concerning opportunities for advising through the admitting office.