Learn how to use D2L - Guides & Tutorials
Welcome to the D2L resources page, the tutorials found here provide an introduction to the key features of D2L, Marquette's learning management system. It's the online equivalent of a physical classroom. You will also find recommendations and tips on building learning experiences for students and how to manage, deliver, and facilitate course content. If you’re new to D2L or just need a refresher on some of its most commonly used features, you’ve come to the right place.
- D2L Essentials
- Best Practices
- D2L Tools and Features
- D2L Add-Ons
- New Tools
- Quizzing Tool
- Using the D2L Dropbox
- Using Rubrics to Assess Student Performance
- What is Quick Eval
- Importing Grades from SharePoint to D2L
- Using ePortfolio - Faculty Guide
- Using eportfolio - Student Guide
- Navigating the Gradebook
- D2L Blog Tool
- Using Discussion Forums
- Creating Groups for Discussions and Assignments
- Survey Tool
- Gathering Statistics and Analytics
Integrated with D2L Brightspace and University supported
Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
Respondus is a tool available in D2L quizzes for in-person and online proctoring. It locks down the testing environment so students cannot navigate away to search and connect to external resources. You can choose to record students taking the test with the Monitor feature.
Enabling Respondus in D2L Quizzes
Instructions on how to set up and manage a course with LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor.
Students and faculty needing technical support can submit a ticket to Respondus.
Check all systems are operational in Respondus.
TurnItIn is a plagiarism detection tool that can be enabled in the D2L Dropbox. While the tool provides a percentage of text detected as potential plagiarism, it’s essential that you review the originality reports for each student, and not rely solely on the percentage.
OneNote Class Notebook
The OneNote Class Notebook provides a collaborative space for interactive lessons.
- Alexander Street integration provides video streaming.
- Gale Databases integration allows for ease of access to scholarly journals.
- Research Skills Tutorials (SCORM package) integration allows for numerous, interactive and ready-to-use tutorials to select from that will give students the skills to conduct research with confidence.
Note for Safari users
There is a known issue that can cause you to receive a "MissingKey" Error. To avoid this issue, please complete the following 4 steps before taking the tutorial:
- Click on the Safari menu in the upper left-hand corner and choose Preferences.
- Click the Privacy button along the top of window that opens.
- Uncheck the box for "Prevent cross-site tracking".
- Log in to D2L again and try launching the tutorial again.
Integrated with D2L Brightspace but not University supported
iClicker is a student response system used for student engagement by encouraging class participation and managing assignments. It provides study tools for students with questions used during a session. With D2L integration, you can export scores to the grade book with the roster grade sync.
iClicker can be used without a student subscription if you are only interested in using the attendance only feature.
iClicker Cloud resources
- Getting Started with iClicker Cloud (Instructor)
- How to set up roster grade sync with D2L
- Schedule an iClicker Cloud Demo
- Checklist for getting started with iClicker student app
- How Students Redeem an iClicker student app Access Code
- How to Run a Polling Question
- iClicker checklist for setting up attendance only course.
Submit a question to iClicker Support.
Perusall is a social annotation tool. Students work together to markup readings. Assignments created in Perusall are integrated into D2L. Additional information about setting up readings and assignments can be found on Perusall's support site.
- Video Note - Make quick video recordings inside D2L
Materials, such as Word documents and PowerPoints uploaded to D2L should comply with accessibility standards.
For questions on D2L, submit your questions to the Learning Technologies portal.