UNIVERSITY COMMITTEE ON EQUITY AND INCLUSION (UCEI)
The role of the University Committee on Equity and Inclusion (UCEI) (formerly the Diversity Advisory Committee and with membership from the former President's Task Force on Equity and Inclusion) is to create and sustain campus-level focus on diversity, equity and ultimately achievement of inclusive excellence throughout the university, among students, faculty, staff and campus leaders.
The Very Reverend Arturo Sosa, superior general of the Society of Jesus, has written: “Educating people for world citizenship involves recognizing diversity as a constitutive dimension of a full human life” (Sosa, 2018). Foundational to the role of the Committee on Equity and Inclusion is to build on Marquette University’s commitment as a Catholic, Jesuit university to an affirming and inclusive community as articulated in the university’s Mission Statement, its “Statement on Diversity and Human Dignity” and in its Guiding Values by:
- Serving as a campus-level forum for the exchange of ideas and information relating to diversity, equity and inclusion practices within the campus and in higher education more broadly.
- Generating and pursuing initiatives that strengthen an institutional commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Providing guidance and leadership to the campus to increase representation of diverse populations throughout the campus community, maintain a welcoming and affirming campus environment, strengthen prospects for inclusive scholarship and learning, and engage in diverse communities in Milwaukee, the region and beyond.
- Proposing recommendations to the campus that provide a pathway to inclusive excellence throughout the Marquette University community.
- Hosting annual or semiannual public forums on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, at least one of which should be devoted to a presentation of the state of diversity at Marquette University.
The vice president for inclusive excellence serves as the committee chair. Committee meetings will be held monthly during the academic year and twice during the summer.
The committee’s membership is drawn from across the university community and includes employees (faculty and staff) and students. The term of service on the committee will be for three years for university employees and one year for student members. Nominations are approved by the vice president for inclusive excellence in consultation with the provost.
October 1, 2018
For more information on this committee, contact Jacki Black at firstname.lastname@example.org.