Welcome to the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Opus College of Engineering at Marquette University!
Let me start by saying how proud I am to be leading this vibrant department. After serving in academia for over twenty-five years, I can clearly sense the unique opportunities available to students and faculty in our department.
- Our faculty of sixteen, including three IEEE Fellows and two endowed chairs, lead impactful research to meet today’s challenges in medical diagnosis, sustainable electricity, sensors, automation technologies and data-analytics that help manufacturing, agriculture, communications, and transportation. They are funded by prestigious entities such as the NSF, NIH, NIST, USDA and ARPA-E, and they are making great discoveries here in our world-class laboratories and facilities.
- Partnerships with a large and diverse group of companies from local and national industry give our students the opportunity to take what they’ve learned in the classroom and research labs and apply it in real-world settings. Industry partners, like Rockwell Automation, GE-Healthcare, GM, Johnson Controls or SunPower – among many others – are also active in the classroom and in our research.
- The challenging curriculum delivered to our students at all levels, from undergraduate through doctorate, develops both the breadth and depth in practical knowledge, technical competencies, and professional skills for our engineers.
- Mentorship from our faculty is second to none. Whether it is leading a capstone senior design project, providing guidance in office hours or working side-by-side in a research lab, our faculty truly care about developing the next generation of engineering changemakers.
- Our graduates are going on to receive competitive salaries and serve as leaders in growing industries of national and international importance, like energy and power systems, machine learning, embedded system, data-analytics, sensors, signal and image processing, and control.
It is an exciting time to be part of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Opus College of Engineering. I am confident that we will only continue to grow aggressively in faculty, students and in these many areas that form the heart of a Marquette engineering education and research: engineering to solve global needs.
EECE at Marquette has a place for you, too, if you are looking for a program that will help you grow while working on solving challenging problems that make a difference, all while enjoying the beautiful and historic city of Milwaukee.
Whether you are a prospective student, current student, alumnae, industry partner or just interested in learning more about our department, please feel free to contact me.
Majeed M. Hayat, Ph.D.
Chair and Professor
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Opus College of Engineering