Students with a major or minor in History are able to participate in internships in local historical societies, museums, archives, and even on Marquette’s campus.
Although specific duties and experiences will vary, all internships will provide a professional experience that will not only help students discern their interest in working in a history-related field, but also build skills valuable in any career. Internships help enhance the credentials and skillsets of students interested in graduate school, law school, or information sciences; social media and digital technology; marketing; museum administration or exhibit design; and writing and editing. Most internships can be taken for credit or non-credit. Three-credit internships require a minimum of ten hours of work per week.
Find an Internship
Available Internships in History
The History Department has formed off- and on-campus partnerships to provide professional experiences for History majors and minors with the following institutions and departments. Some internships are paid; most can be taken for credit. Not all internships are available every semester. Interested students should contact J. Patrick Mullins, Ph.D., Public History Director, at email@example.com.
- Milwaukee County Historical Society - Archival, Curatorial, and Administrative.
Paid and unpaid. 3 available. Credit or non-credit.
- Encyclopedia of Milwaukee - Editorial: research, writing, fact-checking, technology.
Unpaid. 1 available. Credit or non-credit.
- Marquette History Department - Research, digital humanities, social media.
Unpaid. 3 available. Credit or non-credit.
- Near West Side Partners (MU Community Development org.) - Research, digital humanities.
Paid. 2-5 available. Credit or non-credit.
- Chudnow Museum of Yesteryear (local history museum) - Exhibits, social media, marketing, video (two blocks from campus)
Paid and unpaid. 2-3 available. Credit or non-credit.
- Raynor Memorial Library Special Collections/Archives - Cataloguing, document processing, data collections.
Unpaid. 2 available. Credit only.
- Old World Wisconsin (19th century outdoor museum, Eagle, WI) - Research, publications, marketing, exhibits, interpretation.
Unpaid. 2 available. Credit or non-credit.
Paid internships are sponsored by the Center for Urban Research, Teaching, and Outreach and by the Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation.
History Department Internships
We also offer internships in the History Department conducting independent research projects and in digital humanities and social media. To qualify for an internship in the History Department, you must be:
- A declared major or minor in History in the Klingler College of Arts and Sciences
- A junior at the time of the internship.
- In good academic standing according to MU policies.
- Able to articulate your reasons for taking an internship.
- Acceptable to the site supervisor.