- Learn about Microsoft Teams
- Download and access Microsoft Teams
- Instructors: Using Teams in your online course
- Join a Teams online class or meeting
- For Presenters: Use Spotlight in a meeting
- Using Loop components in Teams chat
- See upcoming features (and the latest features)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Recommended Teams headsets and devices
Temporarily unmute in a Teams meeting
You can temporarily unmute in a Microsoft Teams meeting with a simple keyboard shortcut.
Using the keyboard shortcut to temporarily unmute
- Start by muting your microphone in a Teams meeting.
- When you need to speak, you press and hold down Ctrl+Spacebar for Windows or Option+Spacebar for macOS. Your mic is unmuted for as long as you hold.
- Upon releasing the keys, your mic will return its mute setting.
Disabling the keyboard shortcut to temporarily unmute
If you prefer to disable this feature, the temporarily-unmute keyboard shortcut can be turned off in your Teams privacy settings.
- In the Teams desktop application, click or tap the three-dots/more actions icon in the upper right to reveal a drop-down menu.
- Select Settings. The Settings panel appears.
- Select the Privacy tab.
- Click or tap the "Keyboard shortcut to unmute" switch, which slides the toggle from right (on) to left (off).
- Click or tap the "x" icon in the upper right of the panel to close Settings.
Please contact the IT Services TechSquad for questions about Microsoft Teams.