Maintaining Your F-1 Status

The United States government places requirements on F-1 students and also on the universities which have received government permission to enroll them. Each Marquette F-1 student is responsible to know this information. Please be sure to visit the Maintaining Your F-1 Status section below, and make it a point to familiarize yourself with this information.

Forms and Procedures

For any form listed, students can print, complete, and submit the forms to OIE. Students are welcome to schedule an appointment with their OIE advisor to discuss their individual situation or to ensure they are maintaining their F-1 status. Most OIE forms require three (3) to four (4) business days for processing.

Address Change Form

Students with F-1 status and J-1 Exchange Visitors are required to notify OIE within 10 days of any change in their residence address so that the SEVIS database will be updated in a timely manner. To update your address in SEVIS complete the SEVIS Change of Address Form (pdf) form below. Remember to also update your address in the Marquette database by using CheckMarq.

Back to top

Enrollment Verification

Current students needing proof of enrollment or tuition can request this via Marquette Central - see How do I Verify Enrollment or GPA webpage. (Note that OIE does not issue letters to support non F-1/J-1 visa applications. See the Invitation Letter section of this page for more details.)

Back to top

Dependents (F-2 Status)

The spouse and/or children under age 21 of F-1 students in valid status may receive an F-2 Form I-20 from OIE to apply for an F-2 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate.  To request an F-2 I-20 you must provide OIE with the Dependant Request form below, financial documenation for dependent expenses, and a copy of each dependent's passport. 

At the visa appointment, the F-2 applicant(s) will likely be asked for evidence of relationship (e.g. marriage or birth certificate) and appropriate financial support. MU's financial estimate for a spouse is $12,000 per year and $6,000 per year for a child with spouse present. 

F-2 dependents may not be employed or engaged in business. F-2 dependents may enroll in a less than full-time course of study at the post-secondary level even if the course of study leads to a degree. They may also enroll full-time in avocational or recreational studies. F-2 children may engage in full-time study in grades K - 12.

F-2 dependents may generally enter the U.S.with our without the F-1 as long as they have a valid passport and visa and an I-20 properly signed on page 2 for reentry.

F-2 dependents are eligible for the same health insurance plan as F-1 students. Sign up and payment are done by the F-1 student via their MyAccount health insurance portal

Back to top

Employment and Practical Training

F-1 regulations allow both on- and off-campus employment for students who meet specific requirements. On-campus employment, which includes TAs and RAs, does not generally require permission from OIE/USCIS, but must not exceed 20 hours a week (across all jobs) while school is in session. Off-campus employment usually takes the form of practical training (PT) which refers to work directly related to a student's field of study done to gain practical experience. PT, like all forms of off-campus work, requires permission in advance from OIE/USCIS and requirements to qualify for permission vary by the nature of the work involved.

Detailed information on the requirements for each type of employment and practical training, including application process details and forms, can be found via the links below: 

Overview of F-1 Student Employment

Back to top

Extension of Stay

Students who will not complete their academic program by the Program End Date on their current Form I-20 can seek an extension from a Marquette DSO. Extensions are generally granted during the last semester as determined by the current Program End date and must be granted before this date. Extensions can be for no more than one academic year at time. A student is eligible for an extension if s/he has (1) continuously maintained F-1 status and (2) the need for additional time is the result of compelling academic or medical reasons such as a change of major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or a documented illness. Additional extensions may be possible if academic circumstances warrant. Extensions are not possible when the delay is the result of academic probation or suspension or related to purely administrative processes (e.g. missing the deadline to apply for graduation). 

To apply for an extension, your OIE advisor will need to receive the following:

  • Evidence of financial support to cover tuition and living expenses during the period of the extension. Evidence must generally be in the form of liquid accounts like bank statements, MU assistantship award letters, or government sponsorships.  Stock account statements or pay stubs/employment letters do not general qualify as financial evidence.  
  • Extension of stay form (be sure the form is complete)
  • Valid passport
  • Proof of financial support for any dependents

Back to top

Health Insurance

Health care in the United States is expensive and health insurance is necessary to protect international students and scholars in case of serious problems. All Marquette international students with F-1 status, students and scholars with J-1 status and dependents with J-2 status are required to have acceptable year-round health insurance coverage for their entire duration of stay.

Back to top

I-94 Verification

As of April 30, 2013, the U.S. Customs and Broder Protection automated the I-94 process for visitors entering the U.S. by air. The CBP officer will stamp your passport when you enter the U.S., but you will not receive a Form I-94 (the small white card). Please make sure that the CBP stamp in your passport is legible with your entry date and visa type.

You can verify your I-94 number and print your entry details at the CBP website: This information will be necessary for any on-campus employment, OPT applications, applying for a driver's license, etc.

If your I-94 contains incorrect information, contact the local (Milwaukee) CBP Deferred Inspection Site for assistance. (Click on the Chicago drop down option to see contact information for CBP’s Milwaukee Deferred Inspection Site.) You should br ready to provide a brief explanation of the issue (e.g. I-94 shows travel history but can’t print I-94, wrong status listed) and be ready to provide related documents like your MU I-20, airline tickets, etc. 

Back to top

Income Taxes

As a Foreign National student or scholar, you need to file tax forms each year with the IRS, even if you earned no income. It is your responsibility to understand and meet your tax obligations.

Back to top

Invitation Letter

The US government has stated that an invitation letter is not required for visa issuance. Since a letter written by OIE plays no part in the visa issuance process, OIE does not issue invitation letters. Students are welcome to write their own invitation letter for family and friends to visit them if they wish.

Back to top

Leave of Absence

Students who must withdraw completely from the university should request written approval from a DSO before withdrawing. In very unusual situations, a student may have to withdraw from the university before the end of the term. If the student receives written approval from the DSO before withdrawing, the student will have 15 days of legal status to depart from the United States. But if the student withdraws without the DSO’s written approval, the student will lose F-1 status as soon as he or she withdraws.

Students who request a leave of absence should also meet with their academic advisor to learn the process for their College or Department.

Back to top

Maintaining Your F-1 Status

The purpose of this information is to explain the main requirements for F-1 students whose F-1 status is based on a Form I-20 that was issued by Marquette University.

The United States government places requirements on F-1 students and also on the universities which have received government permission to enroll them. Each Marquette F-1 student is responsible to know the following information. More information is available at the Office of International Education (OIE) located in Holthusen Hall, 4th Floor, telephone (414) 288-7289. OIE advisors are happy to talk with students about their status.

Vocabulary Regarding Your F-1 Status

DSO: Designated School Official. DSOs are staff members who are appointed by the President of the university and are approved by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to act on behalf of the university in F-1 student procedures. The DSOs work for the university, not for the government. All of the DSOs at Marquette are OIE administrators.

D/S: Duration of Status. This is the ending date of your legally authorized stay in the United States. It is defined as the time during which an F-1 student is pursuing a full course of studies or engaging in authorized practical training following completion of studies, plus 60 days to prepare for departure from the United States. If a student completes studies or violates F-1 regulations before the I-20 completion date, the D/S date becomes the earlier completion or violation date.

SEVIS: Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. This is a government database with information about all F-1 students and J-1 exchange visitors as well as their family dependents who have F-2 or J-2 status. You are required by law to keep your SEVIS information up to date at all times by informing your OIE advisor of any changes.

USCIS: United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. This agency is under the Department of Homeland Security and oversees the government procedures and policies for students who have entered the United States with F-1 status.

Requirements to Keep Your F-1 Visa Status

Expand all   |   Collapse all  

Enroll Full Time Every Semester

Each semester you are required to be enrolled full- time.* You may count no more than one fully online course, up to three credits, towards this requirement each semester. (See the section below titled "Online and Distance Learning Classes" for more details on this limitation.) 

For undergraduate students, full-time enrollment means completion of at least 12 credit hours per semester.

For graduate students, full-time enrollment means completion of at least 7 class and/or thesis hours per semester. Continuation Courses representing part-time/half-time/full-time academic progress units may be counted towards this requirement. Audited courses (AU grades) do not count.

This requirement may be met in part or in full by enrollment in a part-time/half-time/full-time Continuation course based on academic activities not otherwise represented by course or thesis credits. Audited courses (AU grades) are not counted toward F-1 full-time status.

*Some exceptions to the full-tjme enrollment requirement exist and are explained below in the section titled “Receive DSO Permission in Writing before Becoming Part-Time or Withdrawing Completely" 

Online and Distance Learning Classes

If you wish to take a class that is 100% online or distance learning, no more than the equivalent of one class or three credits of 100% online distance learning can count toward your requirement for full-time enrollment each semester. (At MU, 100% online or distance learning courses have one of two Instruction Modes: Synchronous Distance Learning or Asynchronous Distance Learning (sometimes listed as 100% Distance Learning) and do not require physical attendance for classes, examinations or other purposes integral to completion of the class.) you can confirm the Instruction Mode of your classes using the “How do I Identify How Classes are Taught”.  For example, if you are an undergraduate student registered for 12 credits, only one course or 3 credits can be taken as a distance learning course. If you are a graduate student registered for 7 credits, only one course or 3 credits can be taken as a distance learning course.  Please note:  students in their final semester who have authoriization to be enrolled less-than full-time may enroll in 100% online classes, but their enrollment may not consist completely of 100% online classes. 

Enroll for the Summer Sessions before an August Graduation

You are not required to enroll during the summer if you will continue your course of study in the fall semester. Those summers are your legally authorized “annual vacations”. However, if you will graduate in August, the summer of that graduation is not an annual vacation, and you must enroll for summer studies to complete your academic program for the August graduation.

Enroll on time

You must register for full-time studies or receive DSO permission to be part-time before the end of the official registration period for the semester. At the close of late registration, Checkmarq must accurately reflect your enrollment status. If you are enrolled only part-time without permission, you will lose your F-1 status.

Receive DSO Permission in Writing before Becoming Part-Time or Withdrawing Completely

Becoming Part-Time:

Listed below are possible reasons for having the usual full-time enrollment requirement waived.  All of these reasons require approval in advance from an MU DSO in your SEVIS record before you become part-time. To determine if any of the part-time exceptons apply to you, be sure to contact a DSO at OIE well before the start of the semester in which you hope to enroll less than full-time to learn whether an exception is legally possible in your situation. If you become part-time without legal authorization in advance, you will lose your F-1 status even if your reason for becoming part-time is legally acceptable.

  • being in your last semester of studies
  • health conditions documented by a licensed medical doctor, psychiatrist, doctor of osteopathy, licensed psychologist, or clinical psychologist
  • improper course level placement
  • initial difficulties with English language
  • unfamiliarity with teaching methods.

Note that the last three circumstances, while included in the regulations, would be difficult to document given the admissions standards students have to meet for admission to Marquette.

Withdrawing Completely:

If you must withdraw completely from the university, you should request written approval from a DSO before you withdraw. OIE must terminate the SEVIS records of withdrawing students, but students who request and receive permission from OIE before they stop attending classes can be terminated with the reason of “Authorized Early Withdrawal” which typically has no negative impact on future visa processes or travel. It also gives students 15 days of legal status to depart the U.S. as well as allows students who will be away for less than 5 months to ask OIE to request a reactivation of their current SEVIS record instead of issuing a new I-20 on a new SEVIS record.

Failure to request and receive an Authorized Early Withdrawal before withdrawing completely will result in your SEVIS record being Terminated for “Unauthorized Withdrawal” or “Failure to Enroll” both of which may cause issues with future visa processes or travel. Students whose SEVIS records are terminated mid-semester also lose their F-1 status as of the date of the withdrawal.

To Transfer to Marquette from another U.S. School - Complete the SEVIS Transfer Procedure

If you are a new Marquette F-1 student and transferring directly from another United States school to Marquette, your F-1 visa status can be electronically transferred from your old school to Marquette. In this case, you will maintain a continuous SEVIS record and you must register for classes and visit a DSO within 15 days after the reporting date indicated on your Marquette Form I-20.

Complete Your Authorized Program of Studies before Your D/S Date

You must complete all of the requirements for your degree at your current level of study no later than the expected completion date indicated on your Form I–20. You may remain in the United States for up to 60 days following the completion date to prepare for departure from the United States.

If you need less time to complete the studies indicated on your Form I-20, you need to provide evidence from your academic department or advisor of your new completion date. OIE will issue a revised Form I-20 showing your correct completion date.

If you need more time to complete the studies indicated on your Form I-20, you need to provide evidence of the valid academic reason for the additional time to complete your studies. OIE generally recommends that you apply for an extension with OIE within four months before the program end date on your Form I-20. You cannot apply after the program end date on your Form I-20. When you qualify for an extension, the DSO will issue you a new Form I-20 with the new expected completion date.

Changing Your Degree Level of Study within Marquette - Apply on time at OIE

If you are finishing one Marquette degree and want to continue at Marquette for another degree program, you will need a new Marquette Form I-20 from OIE for the new degree program. You should receive this new Form I-20 within 60 days after the completion date on your Form I-20 for your present program.

Traveling Outside the United States - Arrange for Documents and Signatures

If you are planning to leave the United States temporarily for a short vacation or emergency, you should contact OIE normally one or two weeks before departure. You should complete the Travel Request Form and bring the completed form with your passport and Form I-20 to OIE. In most cases, a DSO will sign the Travel Endorsement section on your Form I-20 to indicate that you are in lawful F-1 status and eligible to continue your study at Marquette University. A travel signature on your I-20 is valid for one year, if you have otherwise maintained F-1 status.

When you re-enter the United States, you must have a valid passport, valid Form I-20 with a DSO signature in the Travel Endorsement section and usually a valid F-1 visa in your passport. Returning to the United States from Canada, Mexico, and some nearby islands may have special allowances for students who are in valid F-1 status, but have an expired F-1 visa. More information is explained on the OIE website.

Remember that you many need a visa or other documents to enter the countries that you plan to visit, including Canada. Some students may also need transit permission to travel through certain countries, such as walking through a foreign airport to change from one plane to another. You should contact the governments of those countries in advance for information about their entry and transit requirements, if any.

If You Transfer to Another U.S. University - Complete the SEVIS Transfer Procedure

If you want to transfer your SEVIS record from Marquette University to enroll at another university in the United States with F-1 status, you must first inform a DSO at OIE of your intent to transfer. The transfer must be completed by the Marquette DSO within 60 days after the completion date on your Form I-20. SEVIS transfer procedures are necessary whether you are moving to the new school to continue studies at the same level (such as continuation of a Bachelor’s degree) or beginning a new level of studies at the new school (such as graduate studies at a different university after completing a Marquette bachelor’s degree).

Depart from the United States on time after Your D/S Date

After you complete all of your authorized academic studies and practical training, you will have 60 days to prepare for your departure from the United States. This period of 60 days is not indicated on your Form I-20 or Optional Practical Training authorization card.

On-Campus Employment - Work Only the Permissible Number of Hours per Week

As a Marquette F-1 student you are authorized to work on the Marquette campus. In general, jobs which are considered to be "on-campus employment" are paid from Marquette University funds and performed on Marquette University property under the supervision of regular Marquette faculty or administrators who are acting in their official university capacities. Employment is limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session and may be full- time during school vacations. In the process of arranging for an on-campus job, you may need to visit OIE for a written confirmation of your legal eligibility to work on campus.

In very unusual situations, "on-campus employment" can include certain jobs which occur away from Marquette property if they are educationally affiliated with the school's established curriculum or are related to contractually funded research at the graduate level and are an integral part of the student's educational program. If you have one of those unusual job opportunities, you should receive a written confirmation that the proposed job is considered to be "on-campus" although it will be performed on property that is off campus. This confirmation must be received in advance from a DSO at OIE.

A student who is transferring from one United States school to another may be employed only on the campus of the school which has access to the student’s SEVIS record. Normally this will mean that a student can work on the campus of the “old” school only until the end of the student’s final semester at that school. A student cannot begin employment at the “new” school until the student’s SEVIS record has been electronically transferred to the new school.

Off-Campus Work & Internships -  Requires Optional or Curricular Practical Training Authorization

As a Marquette F-1 student, you may not work or engage in an internship for credit off-campus unless that experience is directly related to your major area of study, otherwise qualifies for practical training authorization as described below, and you have received that authorization in advance of the experience. Practical training during the semester is limited to 20 hours per week or less, but may be full-time during summer, winter, or spring break. Also note that you first need to be enrolled for at least two semesters unless you are a graduate student in a program that requires such training earlier than the completion of two semesters.

There are three general categories of practical training:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows for off-campus employment (or an internship that is unpaid but earns crediit) for a specific job or internship when the employment/internship is:

  • a required part of the official curriculum which you have chosen to complete for your degree
  • an integral part of the established curriculum such as the Engineering Co-op Program, an internship for your program listed in the bulletin, or the clinical phase of a health program
  • offered by a sponsoring employer who has an agreement with the university to provide these educational experiences for Marquette students.

CPT authorization is not limited in duration, but a student who receives 12 months or more of full-time CPT authorization may not be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) (see details below). Marquette DSOs are authorized to grant permission for curricular practical training if the legal requirements are met.

To apply for CPT, complete the application process that is explained on the OIE website and discuss your application with a DSO.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows off-campus employment which is directly related to a student’s major field of study. OPT authorization is for specifice dates, but a specific job is not required to apply. You may receive up to 12 months of authorization for OPT at each level of studies. For example, a student who uses 12 months of OPT related to a Bachelor’s degree program will be eligible for another 12 months of OPT related to a Master’s degree program. There are three types of OPT  

If a student with practical training authorization transfers to another school or begins study at another education level, the practical training authorization is automatically terminated.

There are two times during your F-1 status that you may be eligible for OPT:

Pre-completion OPT

You may apply to use part or all of your OPT period before you complete your Marquette course of study. Pre-completion OPT can only be part-time (20 hours per week or less) while you are taking classes and school is in session, but may be full-time during summer, winter, or spring break. 

Post-completion OPT

You may apply to use OPT upon completion of your Marquette course of study.  Applications for post-completion OPT must reach USCIS no later than 60 days after the program end date on your Form I-20. Graduate students who have completed all course requirements except thesis or equivalent may also have the option to apply for full-time, post-completion OPT before completion of their course of study.

During post-completion OPT, maintaining your F–1 status is dependent upon employment. You may not accrue an aggregate of more than 90 days of unemployment during the initial 12 months of your post- completion OPT. Although part-time employment is allowed during post-completion OPT, current government guidelines state that you must be employed for a minimum of 20 hours per week.

Your OPT employment can take place anywhere in United States, but you are legally required to continue contact with the Marquette DSO, and the DSO is required to update your information in SEVIS, until the end of your authorized period of post-completion OPT.  These updates include any changes to your name, residence address, and employment details. 

To apply for OPT, complete the application process that is explained on the OIE website and discuss your application with a DSO.  After completing the procedures at OIE, you will send your application to the USCIS for its decision. You must receive your OPT authorization in writing from USCIS before you can begin OPT employment.  You should note that USCIS authorization typically takes two to three months. As a result, you should apply for OPT as early as early as possible which is 90 days before the proposed OPT start date.

24-month STEM OPT Extension 

Some F-1 students who have received degrees in certain areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) are able to apply for a 24-month OPT extension beyond the initial 12 months of standard OPT. More information is available on the OIE website at or from an OIE advisor.

Contact a DSO Promptly if You Encounter Severe Financial Problems

In some unusual situations a student can apply to USCIS for permission to work off campus because of severe economic hardship. These applications are possible only if the financial need is caused by an unforeseeable change in the student’s financial support.

A student must complete two semesters of study before receiving authorization for this kind of employment. In addition to proving unforeseen economic hardship, the student must demonstrate that he or she cannot meet the financial need by working on campus and that the employment will not interfere with completion of the student’s full course of study. Off-campus employment can be authorized for no more than one year at a time.

Students who encounter unforeseeable financial hardship should contact OIE as soon as possible. The total hours of student employment are still limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session although employment may be full-time during school vacations. The employment authorization, if approved, requires continual good academic standing and valid F-1 status.

Plan Ahead to Continue Your Health Insurance

All Marquette F-1 students are required to have health insurance as a condition of enrollment. Most students fulfill this requirement by participating in the international insurance program that is provided by Marquette University.

A full explanation of the amount of coverage and what is covered under the plan is available at OIE and is described on the OIE Website.

In general, each student in the international plan pays for insurance at the beginning of each semester. OIE charges the insurance cost to your Bursar account and the amount can be viewed in CheckMarq. The spring semester charges are for seven months of coverage (January through July) and the fall semester charges are for five months of coverage (August through December). Payment for these charges is subject to the deadlines set forth by the Bursar.

The insurance rates for the international plan can change each year. The rates may depend on how much money the insurance company must pay for the medical care of our group members. To help keep down the price of this international plan, please visit the Marquette University Medical Clinic first, whenever appropriate in non-emergency situations.

If you end your legal status as a Marquette student before the end of your expected insurance period, no refunds are issued for unused months of coverage.

Marquette F-1 students with family member who have F-2 status may also enroll their family members in the plan. You can learn more about these special coverages at OIE and on the OIE Website.

Required SEVIS Reporting - Always Keep Your SEVIS Record Up to Date 

Government regulations require universities to maintain and to report certain information about all F-1 students in SEVIS. Your SEVIS information is available to numerous government agencies such as United States embassies and consulates, ports of entry, and USCIS offices.

To fulfill these record-keeping requirements, you must inform a DSO at OIE within ten days of any changes in the following information so that your SEVIS record can be updated. (Students who have F-2 spouses or children must also report changes for those dependents within the same ten-day period.)

  • Change of residence address where you are living in the United States
  • Change of postal address if you cannot receive mail at your U.S. residence address
  • Change of address outside the United States
  • Change in legal name
  • Change in nationality
  • Change in legal status in the United States
  • Changes in official major field of study
  • Change in expected graduation date if it will be earlier or later than the present end date on your Form I-20
  • Change in fundamental sources of financial support

In brief, please inform a DSO at OIE about any change to the data about you in SEVIS. If you are not sure about a change, please contact a DSO.

Keep Your Passport Valid at All Times

You are required by United States regulations to keep your passport valid at all times, and in some cases it must be valid for at least six months into the future. The procedures for renewing a passport vary from country to country. For correct information, contact your country's embassy or consulate in the United States. Some countries have agreements with the United States which assure that their passports will be considered valid for the purpose of return to that country for six months beyond their expiration dates. Plan in advance to renew your passport.

Arrange Documents for Any Family Dependents with F-2 Visa Status

If you are an F-1 student who has a spouse and/or children with F-2 visa status, you must also maintain SEVIS records for your F-2 dependents. Notify a DSO at OIE of any changes for your dependents including any legal change in name or nationality, early departure from the United States, or change of dependent status as in cases of divorce, death, or a child’s attainment of age 21.

Keep Your Old Documents

If you receive more than one Form I-20 or other official documents during your status as an F-1 student, keep all original forms in case they are needed in the future for evidence of status.

Please Plan Ahead

Remember to plan ahead. Plan your money for bills as they will come each month, each semester, or each year. Plan to contact your government early for arrangements such as passport renewal, currency exchange, or military deferment, because these may require more time than expected. United States government procedures and Marquette procedures also take time, so plan ahead for certification letters, practical training applications and other assistance you may want.

You are always welcome to meet with an OIE advisor if you have questions about your F-1 visa status.

Back to top

Online and Distance Learning Courses

If an F-1 visa student wants to take a class that is 100% online or distance learning, no more than the equivalent of one class or three credits can count toward the requirement for full-time enrollment. Online or distance learning courses do not require physical attendance for classes, examinations or other purposes integral to completion of the class. For example, an undergraduate student registered for 12 credits can only take one course or 3 credits as a distance learning course. A graduate student who is registered for 7 credits can take only one course or 3 credits as a distance learning course.

Back to top

Reduced Course Load

Students who may need to be enrolled for less than the minimum credit hours (12 credits for undergraduates, 7 credits or equivalent for graduates) must first contact a DSO at OIE to learn whether or not an exception is legally possible in their situation. These exceptions are:

  • Medical conditions
  • Academic difficulties due to improper course level placement, initial difficulties with English language, or unfamiliarity with teaching methods
  • Completion of studies at the end of the semester

F-1 students must have approval in advance and in writing from a DSO before they become a part-time student. To request a reduced course load, please complete the form below and bring it, along with any required documentation to OIE. Students requesting a reduced course load should meet with their OIE advisor to discuss their situation. Students in their last semester of study are not required to meet with their OIE advisor.

Students who become part-time without receiving prior approval will lose their F-1 status.

Back to top


A student who violates (or loses) their F-1 status can apply to USCIS for reinstatement to F-1 status. Students who have violated F-1 status should meet with an OIE advisor as soon as possible after the violation occurs to discuss their individual situation so they can decide the best course of action.

Back to top

Shorten Program

If you will complete all academic program requirements before the SEVIS program end date listed on your I-20 Form, you must use the Shorten Program form below to request a new SEVIS program end date. Remember that your program end date will be then end date of the semester in which you complete your last academic requirement (including thesis defense or revision), so be sure your form correctly lists your last academic requirement and the date it will be completed.

Back to top

Social Security Number

Social Security numbers are necessary for students who will be employed in the United States. It is a registration number issued by a government agency (called the Social Security Administration) and it is used for tax purposes. Social Security Numbers are only available to students with employment in the U.S. 

Back to top

State ID Card & Driving in Wisconsin

Some students and scholars may be eligible to obtain a driver's license in Wisconsin. Students and Scholars who are not eligible for a Wisconsin driver's license can obtain a WI ID card to use as proof of age or identity.

Back to top

Transfer to Another U.S. University

Students who are maintainig F-1 status at Marquette may transfer their SEVIS record to another  university where they have been admitted either before or after completing their program of study at Marquette. Students requesting a transfer mid-semester mus must attend classes and otherwise maintain status until the transfer release date. 

Transfers requests must be entered in SEVIS no later than 60 days after completion of the course of study or authorized post-completion OPT and the new program must start no later than 5 months after a student's current SEVIS program completion date or the last day of their approved OPT. To request a transfer, students must submit the following items to OIE at least three weeks before the intended transfer date:

Back to top

Transcript Request

Students, alumni and former students needing an official Marquette transcript (or proof of program completion) should visit this website. The Office of International Education does not issue transcripts or proof of program completion.

Back to top

Travel Documents: Outside & Inside the U.S.

Travel Outside the U.S.

F-1 students planning to return to the United States after a brief absence to continue their studies or authorized post-completion OPT/STEM OPT should complete the form below to obtain a travel signature from a Marquette DSO on page 2 of their I-20 prior to departing the U.S. Travel signatures are valid for 12-months (6-months if you are have authorized post-completion OPT/STEM OPT) if you have otherwise maintained F-1 status. 

Completed forms, along with with the student's current Form I-20 and passport, should be submitted to OIE one to two weeks before depaturing the U.S. An appointment is not needed.

In addition to a properly signed I-20, F-1 students will need the following documents to reenter:

  • A valid passport
  • A valid F-1 visa
  • An valid EAD card (for students with approved OPT)

Students with pending OPT or STEM OPT applications often face additional issues upon reentry and should carefully read the travel information in the OPT/STEM OPT section of this website before departing the U.S.

F-2 dependents must follow/need the same procedures and documents described above and may travel with our without the F-1 visa holder.  

Note for Students Visiting or Transitting Through a Country Other Than Their Home Country: 

Be sure to research in advance of travel the visa requirements of any country you will visit or transit through and to make all necessary arrangements to meet any visa requirements that will apply to you.


Travel Inside the U.S.

In general, no special permission is required for F-1 students travelling within the U.S. including to Alaska, Hawaii, or any U.S. territory. 

A passport or Wisconsin state photo ID should generally be sufficient as identification for most travel inside the U.S., but OIE strongly recommends that you and any accompanying family member also take with the additional items listed below if travelling outside of Wisconsin and especially if travelling by air, by bus, or by train or anywhere within 100 miles of the U.S. border:

  • Passport
  • I-20
  • I-94 card/print out


Visa Renewal

Students with an expired F-1 visa will need to apply for a new F-1 visa at a US Embassy or Consulate prior to their re-entry to the U.S. (Visas cannot be issued or renewed in the U.S.) The visa application process can differ from country to country so it is important to research the process at the embassy or consulate where you will apply. Visit the State Department website for more information.

Remember that a valid F-1 visa is required upon entry to the United States. However, the visa can expire while you are in the U.S. as long as you have a valid Form I-20 and are maintaining F-1 status.

Travel to Canada, Mexico, or Adjacent Islands Without a Valid F-1 Visa

Most students with an expired F-1 visa can re-enter the U.S. when returning from a visit of less than thirty days to Canada, Mexico, or one of the islands adjacent to the United States (other than Cuba). They must possess a valid Form I-20 with DSO endorsement on Page 2. This process is known as automatic visa revalidation.

Students who meet any one of following criteria, will not be able to automatically revalidate their visa.

  • Applied for a new visa (in Canada, Mexico or islands) and it has not been issued
  • Applied for a new visa (in Canada, Mexico or islands) and were denied
  • Have a terminated SEVIS record indicating that you are out of status
  • Have been out of the United States for more than thirty days
  • Is a citizen of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria

Resources for Travel

A list of frequently asked questions and responses related to travel can be found on the U.S. Customs and Immigration Enforcement website.

Information about visas for Canada can be found on the Government of Canada website.


Back to top