Health care in the United States is expensive and health insurance is necessary to protect international students and scholars in case of serious problems. All Marquette international students with F-1 status, students and scholars with J-1 status and dependents with J-2 status are required to have acceptable year-round health insurance coverage for their entire duration of stay.

Marquette University has established a health insurance plan for our international students and scholars and J-2 dependents. The plan is managed by UnitedHealthcare Student Resources. Enrollment in the plan, beginning with entry into the United States with a Marquette University Form I-20 or DS-2019, is automatic and mandatory. Students with F-1 and J-1 status are enrolled in the plan by OIE before the start of their program and are responsible for these costs.

Only F-1 international students with alternate U.S. health insurance coverage through a government sponsor or through a parent or spouse employed in the U.S. can be exempt from the Marquette plan.  Exemptions must be approved by the Office of International Education (OIE) in advance. Students approved for practical training or academic training with an option for insurance coverage cannot be waived or exempted from the insurance plan.   

U.S. regulations for J-1 and J-2 visa status require health insurance with the benefits of medical evacuation and repatriation of remains and with a minimum deductible level of $500.  Because the Marquette University employee health plan does not meet these requirements, J-1 scholars who are employed by Marquette University are not eligible for enrollment in the employee plan. They and their J-2 dependents will be automatically enrolled in the mandatory international plan and the scholar will be responsible for the appropriate cost.

Insurance Plan

A detailed description of the plan is available on the Marquette Risk Management website. (See links for International Student and Scholar Health Insurance.)

The plan provides coverage for vision and dental services for minor children only. It does not provide these services for persons 18 years of age or older.

Insurance Calendar and Enrollment
Each insurance year begins on August 1 and ends on the following July 31. The insurance policy is subject to change each August.

Students and scholars who are enrolled in the plan receive email confirmation from UnitedHealthcare. The enrollment message gives instructions on setting up a MyAccount portal. MyAccount is used for insurance information, claims, viewing and printing insurance ID cards.

Enrollment  periods for F-1 students are fall: August-December (for 5 months) and spring/summer: January-July (for 7 months). Students, including those who graduate in May, must be enrolled in the insurance plan for the full period. It is not possible to adjust the enrollment to accommodate a departure before the end of an enrollment period. Students who will graduate in the summer will be enrolled for the month of August.

Enrollment dates for scholars and their dependents coincide with their program dates in the U.S. 


Student charges are added to their Bursar account for payment with fall and spring tuition and can be viewed in CheckMarq. 

Scholars are required to pay for their insurance and insurance for their dependents upon arrival in the U.S. with a Marquette Form DS-2019 and J-1 or J-2 status. Payment will be made at OIE by check or money order. Renewal of coverage must be paid in a timely manner.

Using the Insurance and Insurance Cards
Insurance cards are issued (electronically) each August for the new policy year. Students and scholars can view and print their insurance ID card by logging into their MyAccount portal. The insurance card should be presented whenever visiting a doctor or health care provider. It should also be presented to the pharmacist when presenting a doctor’s written order for medicine.

If there are any claims pending from a previous policy year (prior to August 1), the previous insurance card should be retained by the student or scholar until all claims for that year have been settled.

Dependent coverage:
Marquette F-1 students with dependent family members in the United States may also enroll their dependents in the international plan. A dependent is defined as a lawful spouse or dependent child under age 26. See your MyAccount portal for enrollment information. 

OIE does not monitor dependent coverage for F-1 students; it is the responsibility of the F-1 student to maintain continuous enrollment of their dependents.

Finding Medical Care

Students and scholars should use the Marquette University Medical Clinic. Dependents are not eligible for care at the Marquette Medical Clinic.

Marquette University Medical Clinic Main 
Schroeder Health Complex, lower level
545 N. 15th St.
Milwaukee, WI 53233

Marquette University Medical Clinic East 
707 N. 11th Street, Suite 130
Milwaukee, WI 53233
Phone: (414) 288-7184  

When necessary, the medical clinic will make referrals to other providers, specialists and physical therapists. When the Marquette clinic is closed, students should visit a local Urgent Care Clinic. Students should not visit the local hospital emergency room for routine medical problems (e.g. colds, aches and pains, etc.
Urgent Care Clinics
Medical care for common ailments (e.g. bad colds, ear infections, sore throats, etc.) and for other routine non-emergency care for adults and children, can be obtained in local urgent care clinics. For a listing of local clinics, visit the Marquette University Medical Clinic website. The hours of operation vary by clinic - some are open 7 days per week, 24 hours per day. These are "walk-in" clinics, no appointment necessary.

Private Doctor
To find a listing of of doctors in the Preferred Provider Network, go to your MyAccount portal. Click on "Find Provider". To see a private doctor, appointments are required.

NurseDirect Helpline
Registered nurses are available for consult on the phone from 5 p.m. in the evening until 8 a.m. in the morning. The number to call is 1-855-839-5121.

Serious Emergencies or Trauma
To call an ambulance or the police dial 911.  Marquette University Police Department can be reached at 414-288-1911. Hospital emergency rooms are for serious emergencies (e.g., broken limbs, trouble breathing, head trauma, loss of blood, dehydration, etc.). See the Marquette University Medical Clinic website for the name and location of the hospital emergency room closest to campus.

Dental and Vision Care
Dental and vision care services are not covered by the insurance for adults 18 years or older nor are such services provided at the Marquette University Medical Clinic. Students and scholars and their dependents must find such providers on their own and pay for the services.

For a listing of local eye care Opticians and Optometrists, please inquire at the front desk of the Marquette Medical Clinic, Schroeder Health Complex.

Dental care is available through the Marquette University Dental School and affiliated dental clinics. Please see the Dental School patients website for further information and instructions on becoming a patient at the Dental School.  A listing of affiliated clinics can be found online.

It is important to note that the services of the Dental School or affiliated clinics are not free of charge; students and scholars must pay for the services. 

100 Miles from Campus
When more than 100 miles from campus, call UnitedHealthcare Global. See contact information on your insurance ID card. 


Questions About Insurance Benefits/Coverage

Questions about what the policy covers should be directed to UnitedHealthcare Customer Service at 1-800-767-0700 or
Questions about claims should be directed to UnitedHealthcare Customer Service at 1-800-767-0700 or You can check your claim status and Explanation of Benefits (EOB) in your MyAccount portal