Required Application Materials

Expand all   |   Collapse all  

High School Transcripts

Transcripts from each high school attended. Schools may also call these mark sheets, term reports, etc. Upload unofficial transcripts to your online application account. Official transcripts must be received prior to issuance of I-20 and enrollment.

Exams and Certificates

Exam results or certificates from a regional, national or international testing authority, as appropriate for your educational system.

Upload unofficial copies to your online application account. Official copies must be received prior to issuance of I-20 and enrollment.

Examples: Chinese graduation certificate, GCSE, IGCSE, AS/A levels, HKDSE, IB, WASC, EACE, SPM, Maturity Certificate, Bachillerato, NCEE, SSCE, ISC and State Board exam results. 

College and University Transcripts

Marquette University requires an official credential evaluation completed by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), World Education Services (WES), SpanTran*, Educational Perspectives, or One Earth, including U.S. credit hours, a calculated grade point average (GPA), and a verified copy of the official transcript for purposes of your admission decision.  This is needed for each college or university attended.

*If using SpanTran, please use the custom application they have created to ensure you obtain the reight evaluation at the discounted rate.  You can access their application by clicking here.

Credential evaluation must be sent directly from one of the approved agencies to Marquette.

Official transfer credit will not be posted to a Marquette student account without receipt of an official credential evaluation directly from an approved credential evaluation agency.


Transcripts from Chinese universities also require submission of a Transcript Verification Report (中国高等学校学生成绩验证报告) from CHESICC - China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center. You should submit the same transcript to Marquette and CHESICC. CHESICC reports can be sent directly from CHESICC to Marquette or can be uploaded to your online application account.

Transfer credit evaluation occurs after an admission decision and requires:

  • Official transcripts
  • Syllabi, or course descriptions for each subject translated into English and uploaded to your application account
  • For transcripts from Chinese universities, a new CHESICC report for any courses completed after submitting your initial CHESICC verification report and transcript.

Evidence of English Language Ability

If English is not your native language, submit ONE of the following:

  • TOEFL scores of at least – Reading: 18, Listening: 18, Speaking: 20, Writing: 20
  • IELTS scores of at least – Reading: 6.5, Listening: 6.5, Speaking: 6.5, Writing: 6.0
  • Duolingo English Test: Overall score of 115.  Prefer no subscore lower than 110.
  • ELS Language Center transcript – levels 110-112 with a cumulative 87% average 
  • UWM ELA transcript - level B2 with an 85% in the following IEP classes: listening/speaking, reading, content and composition 

  • WESLI transcript – levels 600 and 700 with a cumulative B average, and also a B or above in both 700 Listening/Speaking and 700 Reading/Writing courses
  • U.S. or Canadian university transcript showing successful academic studies over at least 2 semesters
  • U.S. or Canadian high school transcript showing successful academic study over at least 4 semesters
  • SAT exam with Evidence-Based Reading score of at least 530
  • ACT exam with English score of at least 22 and Reading score of at least 18
  • ACCP score of 70 or higher if accompanied by a qualifying TOEFL or IELTS


Optional Application Materials

Expand all   |   Collapse all  

SAT or ACT Results

ACT or SAT scores - Optional (click here to review our Test-Optional Policy)

Evidence of financial ability

For students who will study with an I-20/F-1 visa or DS-2019/J-1 visa.

Upload the documents to your online application account. Documents must be received prior to issuance of I-20 and enrollment.

Students with government sponsorship must provide a letter of support from their government.

Other Optional Materials

  • Recommendation from a teacher or school counselor
  • List of activities and honors

General Definitions and Conditions

High school: Usually the last three, four, or five years of formal study (ending at age 17 or 18) to prepare students for university study.

College and university studies: Formal academic study after high school. If your high school system requires 13 years, we may consider the 13th year to be university studies.

Official records: To be official, a document must have upon it an appropriate fresh ink printing, signature, stamp or raised seal to certify that its content is true. Uploads from Docufide, Naviance and the Common App are also official.

If schools or other education agencies in your country will issue only one original document, you may submit a photocopy or scanned copy of the original document with the certification placed upon that copy by the appropriate official.

Photocopies without an original certification, scanned copies, email attachments, and faxes are not official documents.

Materials not issued in English must have an official, exact English language translation.

All materials submitted to Marquette become property of Marquette and will not be returned.