Psychology, Applied Behavior Analysis
Stephanie Hood is originally from La Crosse, Wi. She earned a Bachelor’s of Applied Science in Psychology and Special Education at the University of Minnesota- Duluth. She earned a Master’s of Science in Behavior Analysis and Therapy from Southern Illinois University- Carbondale. She received her Ph.D. in Behavior Analysis from the University of Nebraska Medical Center’s Munroe-Meyer Institute. She was a professor at Briar Cliff University and California State University- Northridge before joining Marquette in 2020. She currently serves on the editorial board for the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis. Dr. Hood received CSUN’s outstanding service to students’ award in 2019.
In her free time, Dr. Hood enjoys traveling, boating and paddle boarding, camping, ski trips to CO, and watching sports (Go Pack Go).
Dr. Hood teaches courses in our behavior analysis program including Single Subject Research Methods, Applied Behavior Analysis, and Promoting Social and Vocational Skills.
- Improving advanced conversation and social skills
- Improving vocational skills
- Prevention of problem behavior, anxiety, and depression
- Strategies to promote skill generalization and maintenance
- Identification of barriers to treatment integrity
- Objectively determining client’s preference for intervention and teaching strategies
- Identification and remediation of barriers to treatment integrity
Graduate and undergraduate students are mentored by Dr. Hood to develop their own research interest within this broad framework. Students are mentored through the research process toward publications and professional presentations.
- Hood, S. A.CA. Beauchesne, B.*,& Fahmie, T.A. (in press). A descriptive assessment of conversation skills. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis.
- Lehardy, R.*, Luczynski, K. L., Hood, S. A., McKwoen, B.* (in press). Remote teaching of publication-quality, single-case graphs in Microsoft Excel. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis.
- Fisher, W. W., Luczynski, K. L., Blowers, A. P., Vosters, M. E., Pisman, M. D., Craig, A. R., Hood, S. A., Machado, M. A., Lesser, A. D., & Piazza, C. C. (in press). A randomized clinical trial of a virtual-training program for teaching applied behavior analysis skills to parents of children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis.
- Hood, S. A.CA,Olsen, A. E.*, Luczynski, K. C., & Randle, F. A.*(2020).Increasing giving and accepting compliments with high-functioning individuals with developmental disabilities. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis.
- Hood, S.CA,Rodriguez, N., Fisher, W., & Luczynski, C. A (2019). Demonstration of the Utility of a Concurrent-Operant Arrangement to Evaluate the Effects of Contingent Physical Reactions on Aggression.Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis.
- Lesser, A. D., Luczynski, K. C., & Hood, S. A. (2019). Evaluating Motion Detection to Score Sleep Disturbance for Children: A Translational Approach to Developing a Measurement System.Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis.
- Machado, M. A., Luczynski, K. C., & Hood, S. A. (2019). Evaluating the accuracy, interobserver agreement, and efficiency of discontinuous methods for measuring problem behavior across extended observation periods. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 52, 315-334.
- Hood, S. A.CA,Luczynski, K. C., & Mitteer, D. R. (2017). Toward meaningful outcomes in teaching conversation and greeting skills with individuals with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 50, 459-486.
- Fisher, W. W., Luczynski, K. C., Hood, S. A.,Lesser, A. D., Machado, M. A., & Piazza, C. C. (2014). Preliminary findings of a randomized clinical trial of a web-based training curriculum for applied behavior analysis technicians. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 8, 1044-1054.