Graduate Program: Speech-Language Pathology

The Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology offers a Master of Science degree in Speech-Language Pathology through the Graduate School.

Upon admission to the M.S. program in Speech-Language Pathology, each student is advised by the Director of Graduate Studies and provided with a written copy of an individualized plan of study.  These plans of study indicate how each individual student will meet the academic content and clinical experience requirements for the following:

  • ASHA 2020 certification standards for speech-language pathologists (2020 standards)
  • Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services state licensure for speech-language pathologists
  • Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction teaching license for speech-language pathologists
  • Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation state licensure for speech-language pathologists
  • Illinois State Board of Education non-teaching license for speech-language pathologists.

Students’ progress toward meeting the requirements for each of the above are reviewed and student is advised by the Director of Graduate Studies each semester.

Visiting Campus

Visits are available! Contact or visit to schedule a phone or video call in order to learn more details about the program and have specific questions answered. 


State Licensure/Certification Disclosure

The information below reflects whether this program meets the educational requirements for licensure or certification in the specified states.

Satisfies Educational Requirements: WI, IL

Does Not Satisfy Educational Requirements: None

No Determination Made:: AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, GU, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MP, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, PR, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI, WA, WV, WY, and the US territories of American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands and the US Virgin Islands.

The professional examination in speech-language pathology is a national examination (i.e., the PRAXIS test).  Students receive preparation for this examination during the M.S. program in speech-language pathology.  Individual states grant licensure to practice as a speech-language pathologist and may have specific content requirements.  An additional license may be required for work in specific settings (e.g., teaching license or equivalent to work in a public school). Many states allow applicants to transfer teaching licensure from another state; therefore students are encouraged to apply for the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (educational license) and then apply to another state per the reciprocity agreement, if available.  Please contact Wendy Krueger, Director of Clinical Education, for more information. 


Specific information about state licensing requirements may be found at