Once the repayment period begins, you may be eligible for periods of deferment during which interest does not accrue on the loan balance, and repayment of principal is not required. If you do not qualify for deferment, you may qualify for a forbearance. Descriptions of deferment and forbearance are listed below.

Student deferment – unlimited

Borrowers may defer institutional loans if they are enrolled at least half time* in a degree-granting program at an institution of higher education. Deferment must be requested for each term of enrollment and it is the responsibility of the borrower. Deferments are granted on a closed-ended basis, which is to say that they are granted term-by-term (semesters, quarters, etc.), based on the time-frame verified by the institution you currently attend. In some instances, a deferment form may be required each semester.

*Rice Journalism Borrowers must be full-time to receive in-school deferment


Borrowers may request a forbearance if they are experiencing financial difficulty, but do not qualify for any other type of deferment. Forbearance only defers principal payments. Interest continues to accrue. All interest is due at the end of the forbearance period, and cannot be capitalized (added to the principal balance, and charged interest upon the new balance). Forbearance may be requested by phone, in person, or in writing by completing our Financial Arrangement Form.

Marquette Hall

Quick links

UAS Payment Address

University Accounting Service, LLC
P.O. Box 5879
Carol Stream IL 60197

Phone payments: (844) 870-8701