WELCOME TO DR. E. J. AND MARGARET O’BRIEN HALL
Marquette Business has a new home
Opened in January 2023, O’Brien Hall is the new home for the College of Business Administration, Graduate School of Management, and the university’s innovation leadership programs.
This 109,000 square-foot four-story building features collaborative classroom, lab and study spaces, as well as an event space, café, faculty offices and dedicated areas for our nationally recognized Centers of Excellence. The first floor is designed to provide wraparound student support through centralized advising, a Student Success Center and a Business Career Center.
Since business isn’t done in a silo, this new facility emphasizes innovative, collaborative spaces where students are immersed in experiential learning and creative solutions. Here, future accountants team with aspiring marketers, and next-generation bankers map balance sheets with up-and-coming developers.
Learn more: O’Brien Hall era officially begins for Marquette Business
Resources for staff, students, and guests:
Building Hours (Spring Semester 2023)
- Exterior doors unlocked Mon-Fri, 7am - 5pm
- Faculty & staff have 24/7 swipe access
- Student swipe access enabled:
- Mon-Thur: 5pm - 11pm
- Fri: 5pm - 6pm
- Sat: 7am - 6pm
- Sun: 7am - 11pm
- EMBA & AIM students have 24/7 swipe access
- Brew Cafe hours: Monday - Thursday 7:30am - 4:30pm, Friday 7:30am - 1pm
Floorplans & classroom layouts
O'Brien Hall Floorplans:
Fourth | Third | Second | First
Basement is mechanical / storage only, no student access
Classroom Layouts & Capacities
|Room / Floorplan
|436 A & B
||30 | 30 or 60
||34 (computer lab)
|226 A & B
||30 | 30 or 60
||25 (Pitch Pit)
|150 A & B
||75 | 75 or 150
* General Pool = available to all campus, approved by Registrar via 25Live
COBA = Intended for COBA use, approved by COBA staff (see here for details)
Located in O'Brien 111, contains the following offices:
- Departmental monochrome copier/printers: 111, 215J, 315, 405, 448
- Departmental color copier/printer: 215G
- Student Printwise machine: 4th floor hallway
Lockers are available for use by faculty, instructors, staff, and graduate assistants in the following rooms: 240, 328, 448.
- Place items in locker and close door
- On the keypad press C, then enter a 4 to 7 digit code, then press the KEY button.
- Twist the locking lever so it is horizontal. Locker is now locked.
- To unlock, repeat step 2 with the same code used to lock it, and twist the lever to the vertical position. Unlocking the locker automatically clears your code making it available for the next person.
When unlocking, there is a 1-minute timeout period after entering 3 incorrect codes. If you forgot your code or keypad is not responding, staff are able to unlock with a master key.
Movable wall partitions in rooms 150, 226, 436
Event / meeting organizers are responsible for positioning the wall as needed before their event, and returning the wall to the state shown below so it is ready for classes.
- OB 150 Event Space: Mon, Wed, Fri: wall up (entire room used); Tue, Thu: wall down (divided)
- OB 226 and 436 classrooms: wall down / partitioned for all classes Mon-Fri.
Skyfold electronic rising dividers in O'Brien 150 & 436
See 1:20 for raising the wall
The key to operate the wall can be obtained from and returned to Connie Knoll or another staff member in the OB 111 Swift Student Success Center between 8:30am - 4:30 pm Monday-Friday.
Modernfold manual dividing wall in O'Brien 226
See 3:12 for opening the wall
Important: When the wall is open, panels must be "stored" only against the exterior (west) wall of the room. Only that side has the proper structural supports for the weight of the wall when opened.
- The whiteboard cameras are working. They provide a video input into the podium PC much like a webcam. You can select this camera in Teams, or if you just want to display it over the projector, you can launch the Camera app, select Logitech Scribe in the settings, and the maximize the window. Please be aware the cameras are not able to capture the entire whiteboard width in some rooms. You may press the 'take photo' button to capture an image file of the whiteboard. Use a fresh, black marker for best results.
- In some rooms, when turning the AV system off at the podium, the TV screens may stay on. This is OK. They will shut down when the computer sleeps or at the end of the day.
- Display mute may not work in all rooms. As a workaround, simply switch the input to laptop or the source you are not using.
- All classroom computers have DVD drives. To open the door press on the front panel, see this picture
- We are re-using the Straz Hall podiums in all O’Brien classrooms. This means there will be a desktop computer and a laptop input available as usual.
- The podium source (desktop or laptop) will be displayed on all or most screens in the classrooms. Most O’Brien classrooms use multiple TV-type monitors instead of projectors.
- With current podium equipment, we are not able to display different sources on different screens
- Ceiling speakers will be working to play sound from the desktop or laptop.
- If you need to use Teams in your classroom, we still need to rely on the podium webcam for Teams meetings and recordings.
- There are glass panels installed in the classrooms in lieu of the traditional whiteboards. You may use dry-erase markers on these like whiteboards. Facilities is still working on a tray or other solution for storing markers. Please plan to bring your own dry erase markers with you, office associates can provide them if needed.
- We do not have any new information at this time on the timeline for new podium equipment. It will likely be 6-12 months before all new podiums can be installed and integrated. We will definitely be providing detailed instructions and training seminars or videos on the new equipment prior to it being available for use in all classrooms. Thank you for your continued patience here as we figure everything out!
- The following software will be installed on the O’Brien Hall desktop computers. Please let Drew know if you need additional software installed in O’Brien hall classrooms. Contact the help desk for classroom software needs outside our building.
- MS Office, Teams, Acrobat Reader, Stata 17, SPSS, E-Views 13, Tableau, MS Visual Basic development suite
On the far end of most floors and in the cafe, there are huddle areas with display screens.
The display screens allow students or staff to connect a laptop either via the HDMI cable or via Crestron AirMedia. Follow the instructions on the screen to use AirMedia to wirelessly share your screen from your laptop. You may need to use the small Crestron control panel to switch between AirMedia and HDMI.