- Current Students Home
- Forms & Procedures
- Health Insurance
- Maintaining Your F-1 Student Status
- Student Employment
- Get Involved
- OIE Adviser Directory
Obtaining On-Campus Employment
F-1 regulations permit students to work on Marquette's campus. In general, "on-campus employment" means jobs paid from Marquette University funds and performed on Marquette University property. Employment is limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session and may be full-time during school vacations. Graduate students with assistantships should consult with the Graduate School before beginning any on-campus employment because Graduate School policy may limit or prevent additional work.
How to Obtain On-Campus Employment
- Begin by logging in to the student employment database called JobX using your CheckMarq username and password and applying for an on-campus job.
- After you have received an offer from a campus employer, you must read the Federal Regulations about on-campus employment and complete the following form:
- Visit the Office of International Education (OIE) to request your "Confirmation of On-Campus Employment Authorization" letter. Bring your:
- Form I-20
- Completed "Request for Confirmation of F-1 On-Campus Employment Authorization Form"
- Apply for a Social Security number from the Social Security Administration office in downtown Milwaukee, if you do not already have a number.
- On your first day of work, complete the Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form.
- If you are a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant go to the Graduate School (Zilber Hall 2nd Floor) to complete the I-9 form and other forms. Bring the confirmation letter you received from OIE.
- All other students should go to MU Central (Zilber Hall) to complete the
I-9 form. Bring the confirmation letter you received from OIE. Also bring the JobX Placement form you received from your on-campus employer.
- If this is your first on-campus job, you must contact the MU Payroll Dept. within three (3) days of your first day of work. Send an email with your first and last name and your MUID to firstname.lastname@example.org. Send this email from your MU email address.
- Upon receiving your email, the Payroll Dept. will set up an account for you in the Glacier Online Tax Compliance System. Once this is done, you will receive an email from email@example.com containing your assigned username and password with a link to the system (when you access the system for the first time, you may change your password if desired). Glacier will analyze your status, length of stay and home country to pinpoint any income tax treaty benefits available for you. You must complete the information requested in Glacier as part of your hiring process regardless of whether you believe treaty benefits are available.
- This tax compliance process will ask you for your Social Security number. If you do not have a Social Security number when you begin this process, you will need to go back to the portal and add your number as soon as you have received it.
- Once you have completed the process (including your Social Security number), Glacier generates a final summary page explaining which documents you must print from the system and which of your personal documents you should copy.
- Present the summary page, the documents you have printed and the copies of your personal documents (in-person) to the MU Payroll Office. Please bring your original passport, Form I-20, I-94 Verification and Social Security card as well as the copies you have made when you visit the Payroll Dept., which is located in Straz Tower, Suite 175, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Please direct questions about Glacier access to one of the following in the MU Payroll Dept.: Bob Krenzke, 414-288-5136 or Michelle Evert Cook, (414) 288-7484.