English as a Second Language Program (ESLP)
The English as a Second Language Program (ESLP), offered through the Office of International Education, provides for the English as a Second Language needs of the Marquette University community.
The English as a Second Language Program specifically offers:
- Advanced academic English language courses for full-time students who have been admitted to undergraduate studies at Marquette whose native language is not English
- English language placement testing to enrolled Marquette students to determine if students are eligible for our ESLP courses
- Linguistic, pedagogical, and cross-cultural training to international teaching assistants through the International Teaching Assistant Program
- Responses to ESL-related inquires and requests from potential and current students, faculty, and staff and the larger Milwaukee community
Student learning outcomes
Upon completion of the ESLP, the student will be able to:
- utilize a variety of expository strategies to develop a comprehensive academic paper supported by scholarly research. (ESLP 1021)
- use standard English grammar, punctuation, and mechanics in academic writing. (ESLP 1025)
- read and comprehend a variety of academic texts in English. (ESLP 1031)
- listen and speak using academic English in a variety of contexts. (ESLP 1041)
Online Learning Resources
There are resources available for students transitioning to online learning platforms at Marquette:
- Online Learning Support Services
- Becoming a Successful Online Student
- Tips to Help Marquette Students Navigate Virtual Learning
For more information on the ESL Program, please use the links to the right.
Please note that Marquette University does not offer a full-time intensive English language program. If you are interested in studying in an intensive English program in the Milwaukee area, please see the Milwaukee ESL Resources web page.